Cesky Krumlov is a small city which lies in the South bohemian Region of the Czech Republic and it is the seat of Cesky Krumlov Castle. Old Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city is named Cesky Krumlov in order to differentiate from Moravský Krumlov which is in the Southern part of Moravia.
Old Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Brief history of Cesky Krumlov
The town with the castle arouse in 1240 and it is connected with the Vitkovci. The town was built on the Vltava River where used to be very significant route in Bohemia. The legend says that the name of the town is derived by the Germna Krumme Aue that is crooked meadow in English. In 1302 Cesky Krumlov was acquired by the House of Rosenberg and many people in here had German origion. In the late 15th century the gold was found next to the town and it dragged the German miner to the town. Most of the famous architecture comes from the 14th to 17th century and town shows the examples of Gothic, Renaissance or Baroque style.
The old town is in a horsehoe bend of the river together with the old Latrán neighbourhood and the castle of the same name which is built on the second bank of the Vltava River.
Cesky Krumlov and Early history
After WWI the city became the part of the Bohemian Forest Region and between wars it used to be a part of Czechoslovakia. Due to the Munich agreement it was named as the Sudetenland and thus it became the part of Reichsagu Oberdonau. After WWI the town was returned to Czechoslovakia.
Cesky Krumlov Castle
This is very large castle, the second largest after the Prague castle complex. There are beautiful rococo gardens with a large bridge over a deep gap in the rock on which the castle was built.